Road Trip Part II – Reunion

Posted by on February 26, 2013 in Blog

Road Trip Part II – Reunion

To start where I last finished off, we were in the car headed off at 4 am. We covered some ground that day! After crossing Missouri, we decided to stop at the Arch to get some shots, and ended up actually going up into it! Amazing view, and really cool experience!

After that we made our way quite uneventfully toward NYC. We crossed Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, a little bit of West Virginia and entered Pennsylvania before finally crashing at a shady, cheap hotel after 18h in the car. No bullet holes, but it was (to me) like taken from out of a movie. Or maybe CSI. The arch typical crime scene.

I was so nervous and excited about picking up the dogs the next day, that there would have been no way I would have been able to fall asleep, if it hadn’t been for the fact that I was exhausted! The next morning we got up after only 4 h of sleep, and headed straight out. Still in a daze, but I was on a mission! I told Jared he could sleep (as there was NO WAY I’d be able to), and drove all the way to Newark. Don’t mess with a pregnant woman on the way to pick up her four legged babies!

After arriving at Newark with one hour to spare, we had to wait. And wait. And wait. Nerve wrecking! We were both on pins and needles. We sat next to each other staring at the door where all the passengers come out.  When the flight had arrived, and people started pouring out the doors, we entertained ourselves with a little game of “spot the Norwegians.” Jared has gotten surprisingly good at it after one year in Norway!

My sister Siri called, and informed us that the dogs were doing great (we could breathe again!), they were awake and calm in their crates. She was standing down at the luggage area with them, alone, and was waiting for some help. Do not underestimate the size of these bad boy crates! They are each the size of a small house, and each weighed (with the dogs in) about 110 lbs.

After what felt like 12h waiting (but was likely more like 15 minutes), she came out the door, accompanied by a rude guy with a huge trolley with the two crates. People around us likely thought two elephants were being shipped in. Or polar bears. They did come from Norway after all! Jared hurried to clip open the zip ties, so we could get them out of there! We got them out, Mr. Rude trolley-guy got his tip, and I in a daze got them outside to pee. When we got onto the grass I started breathing again, and we all (the dogs and I) turned to look at each other. They both jumped up on me at the same time as I held out my arms, and I’m not exaggerating when I say it was a happy reunion!

I said hi to Siri (who I, and I’m a little ashamed to admit, had forgotten about), and off we went on our next adventure – towards the city of brotherly love – Philadelphia!